Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nut Cheese first try





I am so excited that today was my first try at making nut cheese. This is a recipe that I have been wanting to try and have had some expert advice in making. So today during my regular visit to the co-op I purchased raw, unsalted cashews and Brazil nuts.

I put a handful of Brazil nuts and two handfuls of cashews into my little food processor. The I added water, lemon juice, tahini, minced garlic and salt. I blended these into a chunky paste. I added more salt to taste and viola! This, I'm sure, will become a staple snack around our house.




 This is a great dip for crackers or as an addition to wraps or sandwiches. It's healthy and tasty, which all food should be! Try this recipe in a small batch first to see if you like it and then you can begin to experiment from there.


The ingredients I used are very basic as this was my first try at nut cheese. I plan to try more herbs and additions as I become more comfortable with the process and ingredients. I have also tried this cheese made with almonds. This is what sparked my interest and encouraged me to try more. So this weekend when we were in Nelson, BC we ate at a restaurant that was a raw vegan cafe. They offered a cashew and Brazil nut cheese with crackers made from pureed tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic and a few other things. I will be trying that recipe out in the future. They made crackers and wraps out of these ingredients by pureeing and then dehydrating. Sounds easy and they were so tasty.

I think this is on the menu tonight with almond crackers, made wheat free by Diamond nut company, topped with some goat cheese. Alongside a spaghetti squash with our homemade spaghetti sauce that we canned this summer using mostly veggies from our garden. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment